What is Butalbital?
It is used for the treatment of tension headaches. The generic name of Butalbital is Butalbital-Aspirin-Caffeine. It works by decreasing the pain and anxiety and helps in relaxation and sleep. It belongs to the groups of medications called barbiturates.
Butalbital is available in three forms-:
How to use Butalbital?
Consider these points while consuming Butalbital.
- Follow the medical guideline given by your doctor.
- Take this medicine by mouth.
- Maintain the gap of 4 hours between the dosages.
- Do not consume more than six tablets within a day.
- Do not go to bed for at least 10 minutes after taking this medicine.
- Take this medicine with food or milk to avoid headaches or upset stomach.
- The dosage of Butalbital is dependent upon your medical condition and therapy.
- This medicine works when you quickly consume medicine as soon as you feel the headache.
- Do not suddenly stop the consumption of this medicine because it may cause withdrawal symptoms like nausea, vomiting, etc.
- To reduce the chance of withdrawal symptoms, your pharmacist or doctor gradually decreases the dosage of Butalbital.
- Although it is a beneficial medicine, but sometimes it causes addiction if not taken correctly.
What are the side effects of Butalbital?
Along with its benefits, sometimes it cause some unwanted effects. Get in touch with your doctor for medical help if you observe any of the following side effects in you or in someone else who is taking Butalbital.
Side effects of Butalbital are-:
- shortness of breath
- stomach pain
- bleeding gums
- loosening of the skin
- blood in the urine or stools
- blurred vision
- change in the amount of urine
- difficulty with breathing
- difficulty with swallowing
- dry mouth
- fast heartbeat or pulse
- flushed or dry skin
- fruit-like breath odor
- hives, itching, or skin rash
- increased hunger
- increased thirst
- increased urination
- joint or muscle pain
- loss of appetite
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- swelling of the eyelids
- red skin lesions
- red, irritated eyes
- shakiness in the legs, arms, and hands
- sore throat
- presence of white spots in the mouth or on the lips
- swelling of the feet tightness in the chest
- shaking of the hands or feet
- troubled breathing
- weight loss
- unusual bleeding
- unusual tiredness weakness
This is not the complete list of the side effects of Butalbital. Some side effects do not require medical attention because they go away with the treatment as the body adjusts to the medicine.
What are the symptoms of overdose of Butalbital?
The situation of overdose occurs when a person consumes more than the prescribed dosage by the doctor. Get the emergency help if you observe these symptoms of overdose.
Symptoms of overdose are-:
- Confusion as to time, place, or person
- dark urine
- difficult or painful urination
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- holding false beliefs that cannot be changed by the fact
- increased sweating
- irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- light-colored stools
- loss of appetite
- pale or blue lips restlessness
- decrease in the amount of urine
- trouble sleeping
- unpleasant breath odor
- unusual excitement
- vomiting of blood
- yellow eyes