What is Valium?
Valium is prescribed for the treatment of anxiety disorder, alcohol withdrawal, and seizures. It is also prescribed for muscle spasms. The generic name of Valium is Diazepam. Valium belongs to the group of drugs known as benzodiazepines. It works by calming the brain and nerves and also affects the chemicals of the brain that may be unbalanced in people because of anxiety.
In spite of various advantages, sometimes it causes addiction, overdose, and abuse. So, to avoid these situations, it is essential to follow the instructions of the doctor or pharmacist.
How to use Valium?
Always consider these steps when you are consuming the medicine.
- Read the medical guidelines provided by your doctor or health consultant.
- In case of any doubts regarding the dosage, call your doctor immediately.
- Take this medicine by mouth with or without food as directed by the doctor.
- If you are consuming the liquid form of medicine, then consume the liquid with a measuring cup, not with a household spoon.
- The dosage of the Valium depends on various factors like your age, gender, and medical condition. So, do not change the dosage on your own.
- Avoid consuming alcohol or other alcoholic
- while treatment.
- Do not suddenly stop the consumption of this medicine because it may cause some withdrawal symptoms like vomiting, headache, nausea, or depression.
- Frequent blood test is required while using this medicine.
What are the side effects of the Valium?
Although Valium helps many people, but sometimes it causes side effects. Call your doctor immediately for medical help if you observe the following side effects in you or in someone else who is taking Valium.
Side effects of Valium are as follows-:
- unsteady walk
- problems with muscle control or coordination
- Abdominal or stomach pain
- black, tarry stools
- blistering, flaking, or peeling of the skin
- blurred vision
- changes in patterns and rhythms of speech
- dark urine
- decrease in the frequency of urination
- decrease in urine volume
- difficulty in passing urine discouragement
- fast heartbeat
- fast breathing
- feeling sad
- increased muscle spasms
- itching or rash
- lack of memory loss of appetite
- loss of bladder control
- loss of interest lower back or side pain
- outbursts of anger
- painful urination
- pale skin
- slurred speech
- sore throat
- trouble concentrating
- trouble sleeping
- trouble speaking
- white spots in the mouth
- unpleasant breath odor
- unusual behavior
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual feeling of excitement
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- vomiting of blood
- yellow eyes or skin
This is not the complete list of the side effects of the Valium. Call the doctor for emergency help if you observe any other side effects in you. There are some side effects of Valium which do not require medical attention as they go away with the treatment when your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health consultant or doctor will tell the ways to reduce the risk of side effects.
There are some incidents which are not known during treatment like-:
- decreased sexual desire
- double vision
- dry mouth
- watering in mouth
- passing of gas
- feeling of constant movement of self
What are the symptoms of overdose of Valium?
The situation of overdose arises when a person takes more than the prescribed dosage of medicine. The symptoms of valium overdose are-:
- Change in consciousness
- troubled breathing
- irregular breathing
- lack of coordination
- loss of consciousness
- loss of strength or energy
- muscle pain
- pale or blue lips
- unusual drowsiness
- feeling of sluggishness
Get emergency help if you observe these valium overdose symptoms in you.
What are the precautions of Valium?
Consider these points while consuming Valium to avoid the risk of drug abuse, addiction.
- Always follow the guidelines of your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not consume this medicine with alcohol or other alcoholic substance.
- Do not change the dosage of Valium on your own because it may cause withdrawal symptoms.
- Do not give this medicine to pregnant ladies because it may create problem in delivery.
- If you are breastfeeding, do not consume this medicine because it may cause problem to infant.
- Store this medicine in a safe and secure place.
- Do not give your medicine to someone else.